What a surprise! With no prior announcement, Disney California Adventure today held a preview of a new limited-time attraction — an overlay of Toy Story Midway Mania featuring Marvel theatrical films!
Guests boarded the attraction vehicles as usual, but instead of playing the usual game they were whisked away for a private showing of a popular Marvel feature film in glorious, high-quality 3D!
Given that this is an entirely new concept for the park, there were both positive and negative aspects of the attraction.
- You get to see four full-length Marvel films (after the first finishes, you are whisked to a different screen to see another).
- Films are randomly chosen, so it’s a big surprise!
- Some films let you use the attraction vehicle’s gun to, for example, shoot cream pies at the Red Skull!
- Free (virtual) popcorn!
- Because the movies are randomly chosen, if you have bad luck, you might end up seeing films in the wrong order (e.g., Iron Man 3 before Iron Man 2) or the same movie more than once (e.g., The Hulk four times in a row).
- It’s rather a long time to go without access for a restroom.
- Lines for the attraction were lengthy (estimated weight times were generally in the 45 to 60 hour range).