On the 55th anniversary of Disneyland, the Walt Disney Company celebrated by announcing that in 2015 they will be opening a new park, Disneyland Australia, in Australia.
Although complete details are not being released until they are finalized, the thing that we took to be a press release did say that the park will not be a clone of Disneyland, but “an experience that could only be had in Australia.” To drive this point home, it was announced that Disneyland Australia would have the following features:
- Much more prominent presentation of Kanga and Roo.
- A patriotic show about the history of Australia, including an animatronic Great Moments with Sir Edmund Barton show.
- Security cast members will be armed with boomerangs.
- Christmas parades and other activities will take place during the summer.
- The Koala Bear Jamboree.
- Instead of turkey legs and churros, snack carts will sell ostrich legs and really big churros.
- The Rivers of America will retain its name, but will flow counterclockwise instead of clockwise.
- Like the Disneyland original, Australia’s Alice in Wonderland will have an upside-down room, except that it will be rightside-up.
- The Outback Tour will be much like the Jungle Cruise but will feature less water, bigger insects, a sacred emu bathing pool, a Tasmanian devil attack, and a rare view of “the back side of dingoes.”
- The Pirates of the Caribbean attraction will end with the pirates being arrested by the British and shipped overseas.
- At the snack bar outside the Enchanted Mimih Room, you’ll be able to purchase a delicious vegemite whip.
- To better fit in Tomorrowland, the Autopia will be themed to a future where gasoline is rare, automobiles are covered in spikes, and Mel Gibson is considered sane.
- Turtle Talk will be the same, but Australians will notice that Crush has no accent.
- Beer will be available at all restaurants, even with kids’ meals.