To give you an idea of what’s available when you dine at Disney’s Hollywood Studios’ ’50s Prime Time Cafe, here are a few sample items from a recent menu.
- Lightning McQueen Raceway Punch: Raspberry lemonade served by your “older brother” who gives you a punch in the arm for ordering “a sissy drink with a light toy stuck in it.”
- Mickey’s Bee Bop: Cherry soda served with an ice cube that has a bee frozen in it.
- Flavored Sodas: Coke blended with vanilla, cherry, or maple syrup, “depending on what what ol’ cousin Buford whipped up in the bathtub.”
- Chicken Noodle Soup: Served “just like Mama used to make” (to sick guests only).
- Mixed Green Salad: Served with house dressing that tastes a little off but if you take a bite and make a face, “your face is going to freeze like that.”
- Onion Rings for Two: Because you don’t need to be a pig and eat all of them yourself.
- Grandma’s Chicken Pot Pie: Just like Grandma used to make, but without the complaining, lame old-time stories, and occasional incontinence.
- Mom’s Old-Fashioned Pot Roast: Proving that, even though it’s the ’50s, Mom was a child of the ’60s.
- Crazy Cousin Buford’s Stuffed Pepper: Nobody has any idea what’s in this thing.
- Trendy Little Sister’s Fish Sandwich: We’re guessing that she doesn’t understand that fish isn’t vegetarian.
- Dad’s Traditional Meatloaf: Thick ground beef with thick sauce and a mound of mashed potatoes. (Not recommended for individuals with heart conditions.)
- Stacked like the Cheerleader Next Door Sandwich: Mounds of chicken breast wrapped tight in a fried-dough “sweater.”
- Dad’s Brownie Sundae: No, you can’t have a bite.
- Grandma’s Bread Pudding: Seriously, get your own.
- Baby Brother’s Ice Cream Sundae: Sorry, he’s not going to share.
- Mom’s Fruit and Cottage Cheese Plate: This you can have.
When we visited, we checked out the menu and decided to order a Diet Coke. Here it is:
The Diet Coke was delicious and nicely matched the restaurant’s decor and atmosphere. It also went well with the rest of our meal, which was quite good.