Disney Animation 2010: Rapunzel

With the 2010 release of Rapunzel, Disney will only have four common fairy tales left to make feature films out of (The Princess and the Pea, Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and Plato’s Republic). Knowing that they are nearing the end, Disney is pulling out all the stops on this one, using cutting-edge computer animation and filming the entire production in something called Hair-O-Vision.

Originally, Rapunzel was to be titled Rapunzel Unbraided, but an episode of Mythbusters dealing with the usefulness of hair for climbing proved that braided hair was actually stronger than unbraided hair, climbing wise, and if Rapunzel was going to have braided hair, they couldn’t advertise that she would be unbraided (for legal reasons).

Tags:

57 Responses to “Disney Animation 2010: Rapunzel”

1. Jill says:

How very sad that Rapunzel is a blonde. I am not a woman of color, but it seems that Disney has now released one “princess” to represent each race, and now that they are “done” they can go back to the blondes. How very, very, very sad. Disney screwed up. If they think they can pacify those of different races and expect us to be satisfied and content to go back to the blonde only hero they are out of their minds. I’ll buy this movie when it ends up in a bargain bin.

On a facetious note, go up to any blonde woman on earth and check out her hair, then compair it to any brunette of any race. There is no way in reality or well written fantasy that Rapunzel would have the weak, brittle, thin hair of a blonde. As for women with very long (waist length or longer) hair, brunettes ALWAYS have the healthier looking beautiful locks. Rapunzel would have been more convincing as a brunette.

2. Jill says:

sorry for the typos

3. anon says:

Jill, you’re a bitch.

4. Sarah says:

Youre an idiot.

5. April says:

well I have been saying for years why dont they make rumplstillskin!!!

6. April says:

Jill, you have issues!! Who cares about blonde or brown hair color, seems to me like you have blonde envy!!

7. Brianna says:

Jill, I’m a brunette, and I could careless about what color her hair is. It’s a children’s movie. Talk about over reacting.

8. Jamie says:

What a bimbo! I’m a brunette and that’s just pathetic. Can we say bitter!?

9. Jordi says:

What about the Princess and the frog? there frist black princess? besides the fairytales german, she’s a blonde german… hehe

10. anon says:

eeerrr Jill, firstly in the fairy tale, Rapunzel has hair been referred to on several occasions as having gold, or fair hair in the Brothers Grimm version. Secondly exactly how many disney princesses have their been with blonde hair? Oh Cinderella, Aurora and Alice in wonder land oh dear that is just SO many in the grand scheme of princesses! Thirdly who cares about her hair colour is that not entirely trivial??

11. Teddy says:

Jill, stop being an arrogant hypocrite. Equality for all, you racist bitch.

12. Peregrine says:

Umm, Jill, Rapunzel may or may not look better as a brunette to you, but that wouldn’t be true to the original story. Rapunzel is DEFINED by her long, blonde hair. I personally don’t know what you’re talking about. I know plenty of people with long, healthy blonde hair.

Disney may tone down its films, but this isn’t so much about making a politically correct film, Disney has never been about that. Every story Disney has animated, from the Little Mermaid and Aladdin, to Mulan and Hercules is based off of an older story. I believe that it would, in fact, be less culturally sensitive to change one of the Brothers Grimm old fairy tales simply to counter a stereo type in today’s culture or make it more politically correct

13. Desire says:

Jill, you’re obviously a very bitter and jealous woman with some deep seeded issues (against blondes apparently). No, I’m not a blonde but actually a woman of color so my race doesn’t need you to speak on behalf of how YOU think we feel about the representation of blacks in Disney movies. Btw, I’m guessing you haven’t heard the news about the Princess and the Frog. Bitch.

14. samantha says:

Yeah when the witch says “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your hair, that I might climb the golden stair” and a brunette appears it will make perfect sense also their ar eteo blonde princesses, two red heads and eight brunettes (counting tiana)

15. Alice says:

Huzzah, Samantha! Don’t mess with the classics. But, come to think of it, redheads have more hairs per head than anyone, can be called “golden” and looks great in animation. If you are going to worry about the hair color of the characters, why is it that most of the villains are old with gray hair, hmmm?

16. Tab says:

Do any of us really need to bring up hair issues??? Isnt this just a kids movie. You really think the kids are going to say…. WTF… why did they make her blonde? Does anyone really really really care….? Are there going to be protests because there is another blonde cartoon out there? Maybe they should make her hair… blue… I saw a woman the other day with blue hair… it would look good on a princess…. oh yeah and why the controversy over a BLACK princess??? Should there not be a black princess? Do I care if there is a black princess? You have Mulan, Poccahontas, Jasmine, and there are black people in the movies… i.e Hercules…. This is not an issue…. HAIR IS NOT AN ISSUE…… CARTOONS PEOPLE…. CARTOONS!!!! Come back when they have a cartoon about 9/11 and cast the terroists as, well, Jihad members and then we will talk…

17. neva says:

Seriously people, we’re talking about HAIR. I menan come one. I Completely agree with Tab on this one, HAIR IS NOT AN ISSUE. The blue hair idea is great; you should send that suggestion to disney. :D
    But really, we’re begining to detract so much from the point of the movie, by obsessing over ridiculous issues. When I have children, I want them to watch the classic disney movies, AND the new ones, and ENJOY them and take them for what they are! Just enjoy them for their simplicity and beauty! This is why our society has become unable to enjoy the simple, practical things in life; because some people (AHEM) just get way to ANALYTICAL about it. You dont look at a sunrise and say, “why is that sunrise always pink? I think the sun needs to enforce more equality, and have a bit more orange. Stupid biased sunrise….”
    I’ll tell ya what, Jill. If you’re so offended about being in the “minority” of disney characters, go dye your hair blonde and you’ll fit right in with the cartoon people. Find something more important to whine about.

18. kelsey says:

erm in the original fairytale it said she had long golden hair

19. Danielle says:

Wow!! Jill just had an opinion about the hair so what!!! Dosn’t mean you have to call her names. Why don’t you actually talk about the movie itself.

20. nikki says:

Uh, Rapunzel was traditionally blonde… “Rapunzel, Rapunzel, let down your GOLDEN hair” Disney didn’t screw up, they finally are fulfilling the awaited movie and sticking to tradition. How is it sad that a princess is blonde? Do you even know what you are talking about?

21. J says:

First let me start by saying, I think the story of the film, and the lesson of parents letting go/letting the baby bird out of the nest, will make a great film

Jeeze, all the hate for Jill, I agree that Disney shouldn’t do another blonde princess, just because they have quite a few… I’m not mad that they are, but I like diversity

–it could’ve been interesting if Disney set this film in Spain and did a beautiful job with a Spanish princess… but that is not their vision

and plus in the original their original fairytales…

… Jasmine was East Asian, and they made her Middle Eastern
    … the Frog Princess is white, and they made her black

22. Susanne says:

I’d just like to comment… Most main Disney females are not blondes, in reality.

Jasmine, Pocahontas, Mulan, Snow White, this new Frog Princess, and I’m sure more I’ve forgotten all have black hair. And hey, black hair’s usually considered brunette – I’d know, I’ve got black hair – so let’s include Belle, Jane and Megara in that category, at least.

There’s, what… Cinderella, Alice and Aurora who are blonde?

So remind me, what’s the fight about? I think if anything, the blondes and the red heads are under-represented in Disney overall.

23. Ally says:

Ok guys, calm down. Seriously. Why do we care so much about hair color? I am for diversity as much as the next person. My main concern for this movie it that is not in any sort of traditional disney animation. I LOVE all the classics like Snow White and The Little Mermaid and I love pixar stuff too. But with this new animation, i think it looks too overpowering. i want a simple cartoon. Pretty, but simple.

(and another redhead princess wouldn’t be soo bad)
    Just kidding!

24. CSH says:

The paintings alone made me want to bring it to life.Just that style with the fashion of the rococo movement.Wrote a song about it.
    “Princess In The Castle”
    In Lieu of hearing talks of 60’s era.

25. TM says:

I expect this will be a great movie , even though it would’ve been better if it was 2d…Rapunzel has to be blonde because of the story so it can’t be helped.Most of the princesses have blond or black hair so it would be nice to be more brown haired ones…it is one of the most common hair colors.Red would be nice too…Although I hope the next disney movie has a brown haired princess it’s not as important as the quality of the movie.

26. Emm says:

ok, the only reason that she is blonde is because the film is set in germany! u retards obviously dont no that germans tend to be blonde! YOU are being racist if u think that they shouldn’t do another blonde princess! that is racist against blondes!

27. Emm says:

oh, and repunzel HAS BLONDE HAIR IN THE ORIGINAL STORY!

28. Tasha says:

I am really looking forward to this movie, the pictures of it look amazing. I agree I wanted an animated movie but i think this will be as close as you can get with computers. On the hair color thing, Rapunzel does kind of have to be blonde or at least a red head. I’m not sick of the hair color so much as the stereotypical blonde attitude in the disney princesses. They are mostly spoiled little girls who disrespect loving fathers to go marry guys they have only know for a few days at best. And they only end up happily ever after because they are pretty. My favorite disney princess is belle because she actually gets to know the beast before marrying him.

29. Vanessa says:

If you look it up the Grim Brothers who originally wrote Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Rapunzel and so on are German men, therefore the ladies of these stories would take the form of a typical German beauty during that time, Blonde hair blue eyes. If anything was wrong it would be the size of her waist, women that thin back then were considered sick. Unless she wears a corset but I doubt the woman in rages trapped in a tower as shown in the picture could get her hands on a corset lol. The story also states that Rapunzel has long GOLDEN hair. I think it’s funny that people would consider not watching this film just because the color of the characters hair. I have news for you Rapunzel is blonde and Disney is only doing well the keep faithful to an old story so deal with it.

30. maddie says:

4 people who think annimation would b better look at the 15 sec clip on you tube. when i saw it i couldnt picture it as animation anymore its so pretty and fluid its just 1 of those movies thatd look better that way like how princess and the frog would be better animated :). the only thing i dont like is that her proportions r a bit off small small waist really big head.

31. Neela says:

I miss 2D.

Aladdin forever!

32. Jordan says:

I’ll forever be upset about the loss of 2D animmation but this is neat too in it’s own way.

Probably much more cost effective as well, when they made sleeping beauty the almost went bankrupt because of how insane Walt Disney was about getting the art just right.

I’m 20 now and I’m still just in love with Disney movies and will probably watch every one they ever make just because.

I agree with someone who said they should make Rumplstillskin.

There are actually many more fairy tales that they can do besides the four listed above. When I was little I was given several books just filled with fairy tales, so I’m pretty sure Disney still has a lot of places to go.

Not to mention the fact that they are perfectly capable of making movies that have nothing to do with fairy tales or Pixar such as Iron Giant, Lion King, The Rescue Rangers, Lady and the Tamp and many others so obvoiusly they aren’t stuck to doing things with Princesses.

33. Meer says:

Rumpelstiltskin yessssss

34. Anna says:

Jill-

If the biggest thing you have to worry about is the color of the next Disney princess’ hair, you must have an incredibly small, sad, selfish life. No matter where you live, I guarantee that somewhere in your city, children are starving. Get off your brunette ass and put some of your angry energy to good use. People like you are the reason the rest of the civilized world hates Americans, you ignorant, lazy bitch.

35. Angelina says:

This movie’s gonna be great, I can’t wait!

JILL’S A DUMB BITCH!

36. Arielle says:

I hope Disney doesn’t run out of animated films to do. I was sooo excited when I found out that they were returning to their original 2D animations style with the Frog Princess. Rapunzel looks cute too.

Side note: I can’t believe you people have spent like an entire page bashing this Jill person. Seriously, you would think her comment was the main article. The fact that most of the comments are actually responses to Jill’s post show a real lack of maturity. It’s just an opinion-get over it. You might want to check yourselves first.

37. Aurora Belle says:

Who are these blond princesses? I can only think of two (Cinderella and Aurora). There was the one from The Black Cauldron, but I don’t think she is very often noticed or mentioned. There is also Alice from Alice in Wonderland. Tinkerbell is also blond, but is now surrounded by fairies of various hair color.
    So, I see two princesses with blond hair, both of which were in stories where things happened to them. Perhaps in a more modern setting, Rapunzel will be a princess of action, as are her darker haired counterparts (Jasmine, Belle, Ariel, Mulan, Jane, the girl from Atlantis, Pocahontas, and Tiana).
    As a brunette, I don’t affronted by the blond princesses when the ones I know of simply are pretty, sing well, clean, and do little else. I think it’s about time for a more positive and up-to-date image of blond princess.
    And, I do look forward to more beautiful animation from Disney. =)

38. Jessica says:

As i training animator I am so keen to know how they are rendering this movie to look so 2D. It looks like most of you have forgotten the magic of an actual Disney movie. When I look at a Disney movie I don’t judge on character design (although most of it is pretty awesome) but the character’s acting and portrayal of the story that make Disney animated films so unique. The way in which the characters’ move and interact with each other. You can’t really judge this movie yet because you need to see it in its entirety. Its sad how people have to be so “politicly correct” about a children’s movie when you see such delight in a child’s eyes after watching an animated film. Remember what these movies were supposed to do teach children about morals, trust, honesty, heart and imagination.

39. katie says:

Personally, ENOUGH ABOUT HAIR ALREADY. I’m a blonde and actually often feel awkward because there are *technically* only 2 Princesses (Aurora and Cinderella) with blonde hair, and neither is my favorite.

Has anyone noticed that Rapunzel is going to be the first Princess with GREEN eyes? (Ariel’s, for the record, were more blue than green.) I have green eyes, and I’m far more excited over that than hair color. It’s about time–I mean, Aurora and Megara both had purple eyes, but *no one* had green, which is FAR more common? Tsk, tsk.

Anyway. Just my two cents.

40. Savannah says:

I love that she’ll have green eyes, I think green is the most beautiful colour eye (mine are brown *sadface*). And I’m SORRY to go back to the hair, but as a blonde I am excited to see a new blonde princess, because Cinderella, Aurora and Alice are not my favourites.

Also, as for the concept of Disney ‘favouring’ blondes – the FIRST Disney princess (Snow-White) was brunette!

One more response on the hair thing – Jill says that apparently all blondes have ‘weak, brittle’ and ‘thin’ hair. Excuse me? WHAT is your problem, bitch? No need to attack people like that. Besides, I am a blonde with hair so thick my hairdresser has to cut it down for me so I can fit it into a ponytail. At the risk of sounding like as big a bitch as you, Jill, go fuck yourself.

ANYWAY, moving on from hair, I want to express how excited I am for the style of the animation itself, as I was really sad when Disney announced they would only work with Pixar after that weird cow film. I’m also really excited for The Princess and the Frog.

Disney is back!

41. imany says:

i love disney, but why are you guys giving jill such a hard time. besides i dont recall her being racist. just giving her own opinion that there are alot of blondes in disney, well i dont agree. but… i do agree that the old disney animations were blondes. but who cares.. i just want to see men or boys being the main characters.. or even twins.

thats why when my cartoon business becomes famous i will try my best to be just as good as disney :) i know that unrealistic but i’m only 16 i have a business already running and making money… lol. oh well to the point its disneys decision to make blonde characters.. i dont have a problem with it and i’m black ^_^

42. Llamagrrl says:

This is interesting. So far I haven’t been too impressed with Disney CG movies that aren’t from Pixar, like Meet the Robinsons. They’ve seemed chaotic and kid-oriented at the expense of telling a story families can love together.

However, if the story is in the same vein as other Disney Princess films, I think it could be come a new classic. I’m excited to see what they do with it.

Oh, and I’m also psyched for the Princess and The Frog, with Tiana. It looks so cute!

43. ashley says:

FIRST OF ALL DISNEY WILL NEVER RUN OUT OF THINGS TO MAKE MOVIES. AS LONG AS PEOPLE HAVE IMAGINATION THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMETHING TO WRITE ABOUT!! IM STILL WAITING FOR A HISPANIC PRINCESS, AND IM GLAD FOR THE BLACK PRINCESS MY SISTER IS BLACK AND HER NAME IS TIANA SO I THINK ITS SPEACIAL TO ME. IM SURE THIS RUPUNZEL WILL BE BETTER THAN THE BARBIE VERSION. AND ITS NOT RIGHT TO CALL JILL A BITCH BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY SHE DIDNT THINK VERY HARD BEFORE SHE WROTE IT. I THINK IN BETTER WORDS SHE COULD HAVE SAID I WISH THERE WERE MORE BLACK PRINCESSES. I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE ONE PRINCESS FOR EVERY RACE. COME ON GUYS LETS NOT FIGHT OVER RACE!!WE ARE ALL EQUAL !!!

44. Callie says:

I’m blond and offended!!!! :(

45. V says:

Why do women have to be so cruel to each other?! The woman had an opinion and everyone is entitled to one. If this was a forum full of men, im pretty damn sure they wouldn’t be calling each other names. Lastly, this is a cartoon people, chill out!

46. Adriana says:

i hav long (waist length) dark blonde hair and allll the girls AND boys comment me and are envious of my hair at school i get commented at least twice a day. go get stuffed

47. Adriana says:

and v i agree every one IS entitled to an opinion but this comment is just so bimboish and stupid ITS A KIDS MOVIE. GET OVER IT (jealous alert)

48. Mikuo says:

V, opinions don’t equal good. She was being not only stereotypical but said some pretty rude things about blondes.

49. Kayli says:

My only comment is that there are so many, many fairy tales left that my guess is the original writer doesn’t know much about them. Yes, some are much better know than others, but some of my favorites include East of the Sun West of the Moon, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and Rumpelstiltskin. Plus there are many other lesser know ones that could be equally entertaining for audiences. There is always the option to have an original fairy tale as well. Disney has been know to create their own version of stories anyway. Look at the Little Mermaid; she dies in Hans Christian Andersen’s original story.

50. aaron says:

thank god. a white, blonde princess. I was getting worried there for a moment.